The standard Milwaukee burger isn’t just cheese, pickles, and ketchup there are a ton of restaurants serving up their versions of the “Best Milwaukee Burger”. So where is the best burger in Milwaukee? That’s a tough one to answer as there is no shortage of tasty burgers in Milwaukee. We’ve narrowed down the list to our favorite burger restaurants in Milwaukee.
Quick Answers: Best Milwaukee Burgers
- Local’s Favorite Best Burger: Sobelman’s
- Best Milwaukee Take Away Burger: Kopps
- Best New Milwaukee Burger: Shake Shack
- Best Overall Burger in Milwaukee: Crave Cafe
Best Milwaukee Burgers
Kopps is a popular local Milwaukee chain with 3 locations. Kopps is famous for their frozen custard but they also have really good and BIG burgers for under $5. This is a take-out burger place as there isn’t really any seating inside only stand up tables and benches outside.
Best Burger at Kopp’s: Cheeseburger with Bacon
- 5373 N. Port Washington Rd. Glendale open daily 10:30 am – 11 pm
- 7631 W. Layton Ave. Greenfield open daily 10:30 am – 11 pm
- 18880 W. Bluemound Rd. Brookfield open 10:30 am – 10 pm Sunday – Thursday and 10:30 am – 11 pm Friday & Saturday
Sobelman’s is an iconic burger joint in Milwaukee. It recently was on the Travel Channel’s Food Wars and their burger went up against AJ Bombers and sadly Sobelman’s came out the loser. This is where the “Loser Burger” came from and it’s on the menu to this day. It’s location is odd as there really isn’t anything else by it but it is on the way to Miller Park only a two miles away. It’s a popular place on the weekends as they also known for their Bloody Mary’s.
Best Burger at Sobelman’s: The Cool Ranch Burger
- 900 W St Paul Ave, Milwaukee
- 1601 W Wells St, Milwaukee
AJ Bomber’s first opened in 2009 and since then has expanded even into Miller Park. What lead to their success was obviously ridiculously good burgers but also winning Food Wars on the Travel Channel. They also serve up boozy frozen custard shakes!
Best Burger at AJ Bombers: The Milwaukee Burger
- Downtown Location: 1247 N Water Street, Milwaukee Open Daily 11 am – 10 pm
- Wauwatosa Mayfair Collection Location: 11340 W. Burleigh St. Wauwatosa Open Daily 11 am – 10 pm
- Miller Park Location: 1 Brewers Way Miller Park, Milwaukee Open Game Days 1.5 hours before the game
- Summerfest Location: Miller Lite Oasis Open during festival hours
Solly’s Grill is one of the oldest Milwaukee burger restaurants established in 1936. They claim to be home of the butter burger but so do other restaurants but honestly, it doesn’t matter who was the original as long as it’s good. Their burgers differ as they are dripping with butter, sounds gross but it’s really good.
Best Burger at Solly’s: Original Solly Cheeseburger
- 4629 N. Port Washington Rd, Milwaukee Open Monday 10am-7am, Tuesday-Thursday 6:3-am-7pm, Friday 6:30am-8pm, and Sunday 8am-4pm
Nite Owl is a totally locals only place. The only people that know about have lived in the area for 30 years or have read this article lol. Once you’ve had a Nite Owl burger you won’t want to go anywhere else. The only issue is their hours, the last few years they’ve changed their hours to basically a lunchtime only place and closed during most of the winter. Not sure if their owners don’t need the money…If you can get here you should.
Best Burger at Nite Owl: Jumbo Cheeseburger
- 830 E Layton Ave, Milwaukee Open Tuesday-Saturday 11am-4pm
Mason Street Grill
Mason Street Grill is known for their steaks but if you ask us the best thing on their menu is the 10 ounce Mason Street Grill for $16. You may think that is pricey for a burger but the quality, service, setting are worth it. It’s our favorite fancy restaurant in Milwaukee for a burger.
Best Burger at Mason Street Grill: Mason Street Grill Burger
- 425 E Mason St, Milwaukee Open Monday-Thursday 11am-10pm, Friday 11am-12am, Saturday 5pm-12am, Sunday 5pm-9pm
Stacked Burger Bar
Stacked specializes in burgers, hence their name. They have several specialty burgers that have been approved by all the best foodies in Milwaukee. However, there is something about building your own burger. Staked Burger Bar has tons of toppings and you can make whatever your stomach desires. If you aren’t that hungry stop in for their happy hour Monday-Thursday 2pm-6pm for $2.50 beef sliders and wash it down with a local Milwaukee brew.
Best Burger at Stacked Burger Bar: Build your own Stacked burger
- 170 S 1st St, Milwaukee Open Sunday-Thursday 11am-10pm, Friday & Saturday 11am-11pm
Crave Cafe is new to the Milwaukee Burger scene but it’s been consistently rated as the best burger in Milwaukee. You could easily drive by their location and not even see it. We personally thought it was a coffee shop, the branding is off but their burgers are not. They only serve burgers, salads, and fries in cute Chinese takeout boxes. ACrave Cafe has quickly become our go-to burger spot. On return visit consider trying their soft shell crab BLT, it’s just as interesting as it sounds.
Best Burger at Crave Cafe: Korean BBQ Burger
- 3592 N Oakland Ave, Shorewood Open Daily 11:30am-9pm
Mazo’s is a Milwaukee tradition located on the south side of Milwaukee. It’s a hole in the wall place with only burgers, sides, and old-fashioned shakes on the menu. Nothing fancy here but a good cheap burger.
Best Burger at Mazo’s: Bacon Cheeseburger
- 3146 S 27th St, Milwaukee Open Monday-Saturday 11am-7pm
Oscar’s on Pierce
Walking into Oscar’s it has that Wisconsin pub vibe and feeling but not your traditional bar food. The owner Oscar has had some experience in the Milwaukee burger scene as he used to work at Sobelman’s, Wicked Hop, Wild Flour Bakery, and other local restaurants. He eventually decided to open his own restaurant featuring the “Big O” his favorite burger in Milwaukee. The half-pound burgers are served on a bun specially made for Oscar’s Milwaukee only from Wild Flour Bakery. Don’t forget to get your burger served with a side of homemade fries.
Best Burger at Oscar’s on Pierce: The Big Gringo
- 1712 W Pierce St, Milwaukee Open Monday-Wednesday 11am-12am, Thursday-Saturday 11am-11pm, Sunday 11am-10pm
Best Burger at Merriment Social: You’re My Boy Blue
- 240 E Pittsburgh Ave, Milwaukee Open Tuesday-Thursday 4pm-10pm, Friday 4pm-11pm, Saturday 10am-2pm & 5pm-11pm, Sunday 10am-2pm & 4pm-9pm, closed Monday
Culver’s is a popular burger chain that is all over the USA but started in Wisconsin. Culver’s is great if you’re looking for a drive-thru meal or something casual. They also have some of the best frozen custard in Milwaukee it would be a sin not to get a scoop or two.
Best Burger at Culvers: Sourdough Melt
Culver’s Restaurant each sets their own hours some open earlier and stay open longer but the standard Culver’s hours at 10:30 am – 10 pm. There are 10 Culver’s locations in Milwaukee County we’ve listed the just a few.
575 W Layton Ave, Milwaukee – Closest to the Milwaukee Airport
1325 E Capitol Dr, Shorewood – Closest to University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
1641 Miller Pkwy, West Milwaukee – Closest to Miller Park
1672 S 108th St, West Allis – Closest to Milwaukee County Zoo & Children’s Hospital
Milwaukee Burger Specials & Deals
If you’re looking for great burger deal the following restaurants have awesome burger specials. We think trying burgers at a new restaurant for the first time is great on their “cheap burger night.”
- Crafty Cow $5 burgers on Mondays, 2675 S. Kinnickinnic Ave Milwaukee
- Camino MKE $10 burgers & fries on Wednesday, 434 S 2nd St Milwaukee
- Bar Louie $1 burgers with drink purchase on Tuesday, 1114 N Water Street, Milwaukee
Best New Burger Place in Milwaukee
The infamous Shake Shack from NYC now has a location in Milwaukee. Every time we go to NYC we would have a Shake Shack burger but now we can have it every day at their Shake Shack Downtown Milwaukee location. If you are in town for one of the Milwaukee festivals at the Summerfest grounds this would be a great place for a bite to eat before heading into the festival.
Best Shake Shack Burger: Smoke Shack
- 220 East Buffalo Street, Milwaukee Open Sunday-Thursday 11am-10pm, and Friday & Saturday 11am-11pm