In Milwaukee, we don’t have boring ole ice cream we have frozen custard. You’re probably wondering “What is Frozen Custard?” Frozen custard is made with eggs and of course cream and sugar.
This creamy goodness is also served at warmer temps making it super soft, no one likes waiting around for their ice cream to be spoonable or even worse breaking a plastic spoon trying to get a scoop.
Fun Fact: Milwaukee has the highest concentration of frozen custard restaurants in the world per capita! You are never far from a fresh scoop of Milwaukee frozen custard.
Best Frozen Custard in Milwaukee
With so many options we’ve put together this list with some of the best frozen custard restaurants in Milwaukee. You won’t be disappointed with any of the places on this list, but if you only have time for one stop we’ve put these in order of our favorite frozen custard in Milwaukee.
Kopp’s is a landmark in Milwaukee. They were the first to introduce the “Flavor of the Day,” and now you will notice almost all Milwaukee frozen custard restaurants have a flavor of the day. Kopp’s features two flavors of the day, as well as vanilla and chocolate frozen custard, available daily in a cup or cone.
They have a full sundae and shake menu as well. Kopp’s is known for its frozen custard, but they also have tasty jumbo hamburgers which make the list of our top burgers in the city, making this place a double threat. This is the place we always send people from out of town. This is Milwaukee comfort food at its finest!
There are 3 Kopp’s locations in the Milwaukee area:
- 5373 N. Port Washington Rd. Glendale open daily 10:30 am – 11 pm
- 7631 W. Layton Ave. Greenfield open daily 10:30 am – 11 pm
- 18880 W. Bluemound Rd. Brookfield open 10:30 am – 10 pm Sunday – Thursday and 10:30 am – 11 pm Friday & Saturday
2. Culver’s Frozen Custard & Butter Burgers
Culver’s is a chain restaurant that started in Wisconsin in 1984 and now is 136 Culver’s in the state of Wisconsin. Due to its success, Culver’s restaurants are now in 24 states throughout the USA. Culver’s serves up one flavor of the day. Make sure to check their website or app and visit a Milwaukee Culver’s location that has a flavor of the day you like.
Plan on having a whole meal here, not just for dessert Culver’s is famous for their Butter Burgers as well, it’s 100% Midwestern beef that’s never frozen and made to order served on a buttered bun. Click here to check the flavor of the day.
Each Culver’s Restaurant sets its hours some open earlier and stays open longer, but the standard Culver’s hours are at 10:30 am – 10 pm. There are 10 Culver’s locations in Milwaukee County. We’ve listed just a few.
- 575 W Layton Ave, Milwaukee – Closest to the Milwaukee Airport
- 1325 E Capitol Dr, Shorewood – Closest to University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
- 1641 Miller Pkwy, West Milwaukee – Closest to Miller Park
- 1672 S 108th St, West Allis – Closest to Milwaukee County Zoo & Children’s Hospital
3. Gillies Frozen Custard
Gillies is Milwaukee’s oldest custard stand, was established in 1938. Gillies has a large sundae and sandwich menu I suggest the grilled cheese and a mint marshmallow sundae with jimmies. If you are driving to Northern Wisconsin and going up 41 North you can stop in Fond du Lac and visit the Gillies Frozen Custard there that was open in 1949 by the original owner’s brother. Flavor of the day calendar here.
- Address: 7515 W. Bluemound Road, Milwaukee
4. Leons Frozen Custard
If you’re looking for an iconic drive-in then head to Leon’s Frozen Custard in Milwaukee. Leon’s Frozen Custard opened in 1942 and has been staple in Milwaukee’s frozen custard scene. They serve up Vanilla, Chocolate, Butter Pecan, and a flavor of the day.
Their flavor of the day menu isn’t nearly as extensive and crazy as Kopps or Culvers, but the iconic drive-up stand really makes the setting for an old-school soda fountain. They also serve hot dogs, chili dogs, and Sloppy Joe’s. Read more on Leon’s Frozen Custard
- Address: 3131 S. 27th St. Milwaukee
- Hours: 11 am-midnight daily
View this post on Instagram
5. Northpoint Custard
Have a scoop of fresh frozen custard with a view at Northpoint Custard. This local chain has three locations one of which is right on Lake Michigan at Bradford Beach. Northpoint Custard is one of the very few shops that doesn’t feature a flavor of the day, but they have plenty of sundae options to make up for it.
They also have quarter-pound burgers and cheese fries! If your trip to Milwaukee is short on time make sure to grab a scoop of fresh Milwaukee frozen custard before your flight home. This custard shop is located right in the Milwaukee airport before security.
- Lakefront location: 2272 N Lincoln Memorial Dr, Milwaukee Officially opens for the summer season at Bradford Beach on May 19th
- Airport location: 5300 S Howell Ave, Milwaukee, before security opens daily 4:30 am – 12 am
- Downtown Location: 777 E Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee custard only 6:30 am – 4 pm
View this post on Instagram
6. AJ Bombers
AJ Bombers is most famous for winning the best burger on the Travel Channel’s Food Wars not only do they have amazing burgers, but they also serve up some tasty traditional Milwaukee-style frozen custard.
No other place in Milwaukee can you get your frozen custard spiked. Have an adult shake. They feature different alcoholic frozen custard shakes weekly.
For a 5-star winning meal, we suggest getting their Milwaukee Burger (the winning burger on Food Wars), Wisconsin cheese curds, and some custard. They also make our list of the best burgers in Milwaukee, so whether you come for dessert or a meal – you won’t be disappointed! Due to their success and awesomeness, they now have 4 locations. You can grab burgers & cones even at Miller Park!
- Downtown Location:1247 N Water Street, Milwaukee Open Daily 11 am – 10 pm
- Wauwatosa Mayfair Collection Location: 11340 W. Burleigh St. Wauwatosa Open Daily 11 am – 10 pm
- Miller Park Location: 1 Brewers Way Miller Park, Milwaukee Open Game Days 1.5 hours before the game
- Summerfest Location: Miller Lite Oasis Open during festival hours
View this post on Instagram
7. Oscar’s Frozen Custard & Sandwiches
Oscar’s started out with one location and has since moved opened up two more locations. They feature a flavor of the day as well as tasty quarter-pound hamburgers for only $2.59. Flavor calendar can be viewed here.
- 7041 S 27th St. Franklin
- 2362 S. 108th St. Milwaukee, WI
- 21165 Hwy. 18 Waukesha
- Hours: Sunday – Thursday 10:30 am – 11:00 pm, Friday & Saturday 10:30 am-Midnight